Building healthy new habits is so important to maintaining a healthy lifestyle and reaching your goals.
But let’s talk today about the reverse: How to break a bad habit, whether it’s a mild annoyance or a serious health risk.
Research is clear that you can do it. Take these power steps to rise above.
- Know your triggers. Traffic? Mother-in-law? TV news?
- Plan an alternative action when they strike. Gum instead of a cigarette… Meditation instead of drinking…
- Tell a friend what you’re doing. We all need encouragement.
- Get further support from a doctor, therapist or 12-step group if necessary.
- Vividly imagine how you’ll feel if you commit the bad habit. Play the tape of the last million times you did it… you know how this story goes!
- Keep up all your good habits – and even pick up a new one to draw your focus. Stack the new one onto a positive daily step you already take so that you associate them together without even thinking.
- Reward yourself. Did you go, say, a week without biting your nails? Take yourself out for a smoothie.
Look, I get it. Life is stressful, and we use little tricks to help us deal with stress or to bring us a moment’s pleasure, to build us up when other people (or our own little demons) are knocking us down. It’s only natural – so don’t make it worse by beating yourself up! Instead, take positive action now.
Joining a healthy community, such as a gym or studio, is super-helpful. And you don’t have to wait until you triumph over your bad habits to start exercising, eating a more balanced diet, and enjoying positive friendships.
I believe we can create new habits that then give us added power and inspiration over those persistent negative behaviours, too.
Fight the negative with the positive. It works every time!
If you’re looking to make different nutrition choices and are tired of restriction, diets and endless supplements we can help make nutrition simple.
We offer a 12 month total nutrition restructuring so you can change your habits and beliefs around nutrition, remember how to truly feed your body and step away from the diet mentality that creates the yo-yo weight and empties your pocketbook.
If you’re feeling like you’ve tried everything that is out there and simply started back at square one then it’s time to step out of the diet industry box and into a program designed entirely for you and based on your life, your tastes and without restriction.
We dive deep into your individual why’s around food and learn what works specifically for you. It works because it’s absolutely all about you! You become the science experiment instead of simply doing what temporarily works for everyone else. We give you the tools YOU need to confidently navigate nutrition long term.
Complete your nutrition consult today and forget about starting next year. Your time to start is now!